Are you looking for a digital marketing interview questions? Do you have a digital marketing interview scheduled shortly? Not sure where to get started with digital marketing interview preparation? If anxiety and fear are killing you, then refer to this page for the interview questions on different streams of digital marketing. It includes SEO, local SEO, email marketing, social media, etc.
To help you clear-through the upcoming interview, I am compiling here a list of commonly asked interview questions with answers. I hope this will be more helpful to prepare for your digital marketing interview and get through.
Table of Page Contents
Digital Marketing Interview Questions
The digital marketing industry is evolving in its nature. The technologies, tools, and strategies keep changing day by day. Still, digital marketing forms the backbone for any business in this digital world.
As long as you are strong in your basics, then it won’t be overwhelming to keep upgrading yourself. Digital marketing is a little wider topic than you expect. You will find more great job opportunities in digital marketing.
1. What do you know about the term “digital marketing”?
Digital marketing encompasses all the marketing inputs via digital channels. It includes search engines, social networks, emails, and other websites. The ultimate goal is to reach out to and engage potential or existing customers. It can either be of free or paid or a combination of both.
2. Digital Marketing being a vast area, list some of its major areas?
Digital marketing extends various activities to reach its target audience and keep them engaged. The most significant verticals of digital marketing are as follows:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- Social Media Marketing (SMM)
- Email Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Content Marketing
- Video Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Analytics and so on.
3. What are the advantages of digital marketing over traditional marketing?
Digital marketing ensures prompt two-way communication. It ensures higher engagement in interaction through social media comments or email replies, or any digital channels. Customer’s response can help you to evaluate your marketing efforts and further optimize it. Digital marketing enables the business to reach a great audience on a large scale ensuring quick & reliable growth.
Digital marketing analytics and ROI are measurable with the availability of tools.
On the other hand, traditional marketing doesn’t allow you to interact with customers or audiences and vice versa. Also, conventional marketing to reach a wider audience would be higher compared to marketing digitally.
Above all, the conversion rates are proven to be drastically high in digital marketing than traditional.
4. Name some of the popular digital marketing tools that are efficient.
- SEO Tools: Ahrefs, MOZ, SEMRush, SEO PowerSuite
- Keyword Tools: Google Keyword Planner, UberSuggest, Keyword EveryWhere
- Content Writing: Grammarly
- Tools to Generate Content Ideas: BuzzSumo, Google Trends
- Social Media Listening Tools: Awario, HootSuite
- Email Marketing Tools: AWeber, MailChimp, MailShake
- Analytics Tools: Google Analytics
- Graphic Designing: Canva
- Content Management System: WordPress, OpenCart
5. Are branding and digital marketing the same? If not, how it differs?
Not so. Branding is nothing but exposing our brand or business reaching out a wider audience. Here there is no marketing or sales pitch included. It refers to just making our customers or target audiences to remember us. Branding activities include pitching them with amazing content, email newsletters or something.
On the other hand, digital marketing refers to communicating or reaching outright target audience convincing them to take your desired actions like purchases.
6.Name of the powerful traffic generation ways that you are familiar with.
There are several ways to generate traffic to a website. Few among those are:
- Optimizing the web pages for better SERP rankings – SEO
- Maintaining a blog on the official website & publishing evergreen articles
- Running social media and PPC ads to attract visitors
- Participating in forums and discussions websites
- Building relationships with influencers driving their followers to our site
- Contributing well-informed articles & comments on other blogs
7. How do you update yourself to the advancement or evolution in the digital marketing arsenal?
Being a dynamic field, digital marketing frequently gets updated. And, it becomes obvious to be updated paralelly. I practice reading leading industry blogs or following the content shared by expert online marketers over the web. My favorite that I often visit & learn kinds of stuff are Search Engine Journal, Neil Patel, Social Media Examiner, CopyBlogger, etc.
SEO Interview Questions
Being a free promotional module in digital marketing, there is a high demand for SEO professionals in the market. No doubt, digital marketing will be the future. Traditional marketing won’t emerge further. As long as digital channels have a significant role in transforming business, SEO will be peaking.
Understanding the principle behind how the search engine works in fetching appropriate results, its simple to learn hacks to influence it. You will find it interesting to beat the competitions and win the race over the web.
1. What is your understanding of SEO? What are its types?
Search Engine Optimization is the expansion of SEO. The phenomena of optimizing web pages to increase the quality and volume of visitors drive to the website organically. Basically, improving the search engine visibility in Google, Bing, etc for getting potential visitors, leads and hence, conversions.
2. What are the types of SEO?
The three major types of SEO are white-hat, black-hat & grey-hat SEO.
White-hat SEO focuses concentrates on user’s needs and intent. Even, that’s what Google or any search engine loves. This is the recommendable type of SEO following the search engine algorithmic standards.
Black-hat SEO refers to the SEO tactics against search engine ranking guidelines. For long-term results and online credibility, you must avoid practicing black-hat SEO techniques like cloaking, keyword stuffing, etc.
Grey-hat SEO is the combination of both white & black hat. Still, it is not highly recommendable. It includes buying backlinks, massive link building, article spinning, etc.
3. How does Google search work?
Google receives millions of search queries every day. And, Google is more serious about offering the most relevant results to its users. Hence, Google uses automated programs called spiders/crawlers to crawl web pages over the web. Based on several ranking factors (200+), the specific page will be ranked for certain keyword.
4. What are Google significant algorithm updates?
Earlier, Google was determining any web page with its PageRank (PR). Once, people started manipulating, it has now come with more metrics and updates to evaluate.
Here are some of the major algorithmic updates –
- Google Panda (deals with keyword stuffing & content updation)
- Penguin (deals about spam & unnatural backlinks)
- HummingBird (deals with thin content)
- Pigeon (deals with poor on-page & off-page SEO)
- Mobile-first (deals with poor mobile usability & friendliness)
- RankBrain (deals about poor user experience)
- Fred (deals with content that has more annoying ad displays)
5. What is domain authority and how do you improve it?
Domain Authority is a popular search engine ranking metric developed by MOZ that determines the ranking potential of a website. It takes the number of links, referring domains, quality of the link into considerations to calculate the DA of a site.
With the best practices of proper internal linking, generating quality backlinks, improving the user experience of the web pages, publishing amazing content, DA can be increased gradually.
6. What are sitemap and robots.txt?
The sitemap is the file that has a list of pages, videos, images and posts in a site and how they are interrelated. Google or any search engines find it easy to read this file to crawl a site more intelligently.
Robots.txt also refers to robots exclusion standard or robots exclusion protocol. The standard that any website uses to communicate with the search engine bots or crawlers. Mostly, webmasters inform spiders about which areas of the website must be or not to be crawled or processed.
7. How do you submit a page for Google indexing?
In order to drive more traffic from search engines, bots must crawl & index your site often. For which, you have to publish a more and more well-informative article that target audience wants. Depending on your authority and content frequency, Google index your site automatically, very soon.
Otherwise, you will have request Google to index your site by submitting the sitemap URL in Google webmaster tools.
8. What is on-page & off-page SEO?
On-page SEO refers to the efforts we put to optimize every individual page within the site for better search engine rankings. The on-page elements include Meta tags, image alt tags, heading tags, permalink, keyword optimization, etc. We will have to make sure that we have keyword research before trying to optimizing on-page.
Off-page SEO refers to whatever promotional activities we do outside our website that impacts its SERP visibility. It includes link building, brand building, influencer marketing, content marketing, etc.
9. What is the purpose of keyword research? What types of keywords will perform better?
Keyword research is the process of researching the market and user needs to fetch the most potential keyword that matches user intent. There are a plethora of keyword research tools available with more metrics to help to find the keywords that can get better rankings.
Initially, it is advisable to focus long tail keywords with average search volume and low difficulty keywords for guaranteed ranking.
10. How backlinks are important for SEO? Name some of the powerful link building methods.
Search engines especially Google gives more credit to sites that have more quality backlinks. The term quality backlinks refer to the backlinks that are natural, most relevant, having a proper anchor text, around content and authoritative.
There are plenty of link building techniques available. Some of those are:
- Blog commenting
- Guest blogging
- Broken link building
- Editorial links
- Skyscraper technique
- Infographics and so on.
11.What if website traffic is dropping down even after all your SEO efforts? How do you recover from it?
Some of the reasons for the rank drop would be –
- Hit by Google penalty updates
- Publishing more thin content
- Practicing any black hat SEO practices
- Building massive backlinks in a short period or toxic links
- Website renovation or anything
- In such cases, the first thing to do is running a comprehensive website audit to diagnose the cause of the drop. Finding which, it’s easy to
- fix those SEO mistakes literally.
12. What is bounce rate? What are the recommendations to reduce bounce rate?
Bounce rate or dwelling time is the percentage of visitors who leaves away from your site after viewing only one page (without navigating your other pages). The rise in bounce rate denotes that your homepage or any page where your readers land on is less-engaging and boring.
Practices like displaying popular posts in the homepage, related posts below every blog post, embedding related images and videos to engage users can reduce bounce rate.
Local SEO Interview Questions
Businesses will have it operating in multiple locations. Still, the local business gets more conversions. Optimizing the business website towards the local search results are crucial.
Consider, the company interviewing you deals with clients who want to improve their local business. Then, go in-depth and learn the strategies to crack the local search results. Obviously, you are the winner.
1. What is local SEO and how do you rank better in Google Maps?
Local SEO is about optimizing your website to rank better for local search terms. It is an effective inbound marketing strategy to promote business products and services to local audiences. The local SEO activities include building business citation on local directories, registering on Google My Business page, etc.
Here are some of the effective ways to rank better on Google Maps –
- Add & verifying business in Google My Business page under proper category
- Listing on niche & geo-specific local citations
- Adding Schema structured data to the website
- Focusing on local search keywords including words like ‘here’, near me’ or location names.
2. What are the local citations?
Location citation refers to submitting business NAP (Name, Address & Phone) details to the popular local directories. Search engines will refer to this information’s and the data provided on the website to treat you as a reliable business. Also, it helps the local audience to trust the business and easy to contact you. Some of the most popular local directories are Yellow Pages, Yelp, etc.
3. What is Schema Mark up?
Schema Mark up is a structured code to embed on the webpage helping search engines to fetch more additional information about the page and return informative business information to the users.
SEM & PPC Interview Questions
For prompt search engine results, search engine marketing and ad campaigns are the keys. How capable you are to define and target the potential audience matters. Google Adwords and Bing Ads are high-conversion guaranteed.
Planning and optimizing the ad campaigns can take your business to any heights attracting online customers or audiences. Most of the companies looking for such PPC experts to set and manage PPC campaigns for their clients. It’s not that hard to kick.
1. What is SEM?
Search Engine Marketing (SEM) or paid search refers to paid listings on SERP’s. The most commonly used paid search tool is Google Adwords or PPC. It has got several names like paid advertising, paid search ads, etc.
2. How do PPC works?
PPC is the paid mechanism used by advertisers to direct traffic to their websites. Against which, the advertisers pay the owner whenever users click on the advertisements. The payment differs based on the keyword value and where the advertisement is displayed.
3. How to set up the PPC campaigns?
Here are the steps to set up effective PPC campaigns –
- First and foremost, set up the PPC campaign goals (make more sales or encouraging sign-ups or generating leads, etc.
- Decide the optimal platform to display the ads. Google Adwords is a popular one.
- Fetch the right keywords using powerful keyword research tools.
- Set bid for various keywords selecting your budget (daily, or monthly).
- Write the PPC advert content and link to the desired landing page on your site.
- Monitor the clicks and optimize it further.
4. How to get the keywords for Google Adwords campaigns?
Not only for organic search results, is keyword research most imperative for paid advertisements too. Google keyword planner would be a better free choice to fetch low CPC value keywords with any seed keyword. Further, SEMrush tools have a powerful PPC analysis tool to optimize your ad campaigns more efficiently.
Social Media Marketing Interview Questions
Undoubtedly, you are familiar with popular social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, Instagram, and so on. Have you tried its features professionally to tweak your business? If not so, learn and improve such demanding skills. Be socialist. The online world loves relationships. Help clients to promote their businesses across the most interactive social platforms. You will be in high demand, then.
1. What is Social Media Marketing?
Social media marketing is the practice of using social media platforms to promote any business, its products or services.
2. What are all the popular social networks that generate more leads for any business?
Nowadays, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Whatsapp are efficient to generate more potential leads for any sized business.
3. How to create a business page on Facebook?
It’s so simple to have a Facebook business page. Here are the steps to do so.
- Signup a Facebook account.
- Go to Facebook.com/business
- And then click create a page (in the top right corner)
- It’s done. Select the type of business.
4. How do you improve social engagements?
One must be most active in social platforms. Most importantly, we must also publish other top influencer’s content as well to attract huge followers. More social media monitoring tools are available. Making use of it, it’s easy to respond to the social mentions instantly. Being interactive with social followers is a good practice to improve social engagements.
5. What is video marketing? How to grow YouTube subscribers?
Using videos to promote business, products, services of a company or branding refers to video marketing. Usually visual content appeals more to the users than plain text. So, video marketing provides undesirable results for businesses in terms of sales and branding.
Email Marketing Interview Questions
Email marketing might seems something common that fills your inbox. But, it is not so. There are businesses that totally depends on email marketing strategy. But, how to grow the email subscribers list, when to blast the emails, how to optimally use the email marketing services, etc.; the difference lies over there. Be the master in generating more potential leads. Then, corporates will hire you blindly.
1. Why is Email marketing so important for any sized business?
Email marketing is an effective way to keep customers informed with our business offerings and announcements. Basically, it helps business and the audiences to stay connected. It’s an easy and cost-effective marketing strategy that even a small business can do better.
2. What are all the important terms in email marketing?
Email Service provider – software service that helps marketers to send emails to their subscribers
Emails Marketing Automation – segmenting the subscribers & setting email schedules to deliver different emails to a different set of users automatically
A/B testing – also called as ‘split testing’ refers to testing different email campaign option to check which is effective in getting desired opens and clicks.
Click-through rates – the metric that measures how many people clicked on your email content like images, videos, hyperlink or CTA
Personalization – optimizing the email content based on each individual subscriber
Email deliverability – email marketing service must offer high email deliverability, delivering emails to subscriber’s inbox promptly
Email hard/soft bounce – Emails returning to the senders for some specific temporary or permanent reasons like wrong email address, subscriber has no enough space to receive new emails, etc.
3. How do you monitor and optimize your email marketing efforts?
These days, most of the email marketing tools come with more advanced features (like A/B testing) for monitoring and reporting too. It is now just a matter of minutes to understand how a specific email campaign performs with crystal-clear reports on click-through rates, delivery failed, redirects to the web version, opt-outs and so on. With this information, we are capable to optimize our email marketing campaigns further.
4. Name a few email marketing tools you are familiar with.
There are a plethora of email marketing tools available like MailChimp, MailShake, GetResponse, ConstantContact, AWeber, ConvertKit, and more. Among which, I am more comfortable with MailChimp that offers free service to send emails up to 2K subscribers.
5. What is auto-responder?
The pre-made computer program that automatically answers emails that it receives. Email marketers use auto-responders also to provide immediate information to their customers and send the auto-followup email at regular intervals.
Web Designing Interview Questions
The website forms the centric point for any online business. If you are strong in creating a professional business website that offers great user experience and converts, then that’s it. Still, there are plenty of businesses struggling to beat its competitions not having a business website.
Be a game-changer to bring up those small businesses to succeed. Anyways, there are a plethora of pre-made open source platforms available to make your jobs easy. Keep learning the demanding technologies.
1. What is domain registration?
The domain name is the website name. Domain registration is the process of reserving a name on the internet for a website with domain registrars like GoDaddy, NameCheap, etc.
2. Name some of the popular search engines and TLD’s.
Google is the most popular search engine in most of the countries. Still, there are several other search engines that are specifically leading in certain countries. Like, Yandex in Russia, Baidu in China, etc.
3. What do you understand by the term ‘Web Hosting’?
Web hosting is nothing but acquiring a physical space of your website over the web, the online storage center for images, videos, website content that the website comprises of. Hosting service providers offer the technologies and services that any website needs to be viewed on the internet.
4. What are the major types of hosting?
Some of the major types of web hosting are
- Shared hosting
- VPS hosting
- Dedicated hosting
- Reseller hosting
Other than this, there are specific hosting services for WordPress, Joomla ecommerce, email, etc.
5. What are the important things to consider while choosing a hosting service?
Hosting is one of the most crucial aspects of any website. Here are some of the factors to consider while choosing a suitable hosting service.
- Server uptime
- Data center locations
- Security features
- Resource allocations like bandwidth, storage, etc
- Additional features like SSL
- Hosting price
- Renewal charges
- Customer support quality and so on.
6. What is the difference between static & dynamic website?
A static site is the one that is usually built on HTML. Basically what is in the code will be displayed front-end. On the other hand, a dynamic website is built-on server-side scripting languages like PHP, CSS, JS, etc. Even, individuals with no coding knowledge can design a dynamic site.
7. What is CMS? Name some of the popular CMS you know.
Content Management System (CMS) is a set of related programs for creating and managing web content. Some of the popular CMS are WordPress, Joomla, Magento, Drupal, OpenCart, Shopify, etc.
8. Why WordPress is popular than other CMS platforms?
WordPress CMS is SEO-friendly. It has abundant resources in terms of themes and plug-ins for additional functionalities building amazing websites and blogs. Indeed, with a simple dashboard, content creation and publishing becomes easier in WordPress than other CMS platforms.
9. Is it possible to build a complete website with free WordPress themes?
Of course, WordPress has an enormous number of free themes available. They are highly responsive, SEO-friendly, fast-loading, mobile-friendly, translation-ready and so on. It is very much possible to build amazing websites installing free WordPress themes. If more customization is needed, then one must go for premium themes.
10. What is a Landing Page?
The specially designed page on your website for marketing or ad campaigns where your target audience land on it from different sources. It is also called a ‘lead capturing page’, or ‘destination page’. Indeed, landing pages must have optimally placed CTA’s for desired outcomes.
11. How do you write clickable call-to-action?
It’s imperative to set the goal of having CTA’s in certain places. So, here are some of the considerations I have to write effective CTA’s.
- CTA’s must be goal optimistic
- Must include action words like explore, discover, take, get, etc.
- Personalization tone that directly interacts with visitors
- Offerings or key benefits that CTA’s provides to the users
- Creating a sense of urgency and fear of missing out
- Spurring users to take an instant action
12. What is a mobile-friendly website?
Essentially, the site shrinks down itself to fit display on mobile devices of different screen sizes. Though there is a lot of zooming, scrolling, tapping is there, still, it must function properly for mobile users. As the mobile searches are kept increasing in these days, Google values mobile-friendly sites greater. Even, mobile-friendliness of a website decides its desktop ranking as well.
Final Take Away: Digital Marketing Interview Questions
Before sharpening your skills, build your confidence and attitude to manage anxiety. Your digital marketing interview success relies on the combination of presenting your positive attitude, knowledge and how smart you are answering the interview questions being asked.
In this digital marketing interview questions and answers study material, we uncover almost all the possible interview questions. Indeed, we keep updating the page very often. Make use of it, be strong in fundamental, prepare well to face the interview. Anyways, shape your career in digital marketing achieving your dream job.